Game-breaking problems with the Quest Machine Demo (solved)

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
Gemini

Game-breaking problems with the Quest Machine Demo (solved)

Post by Gemini »

Largely unfamiliar with forums, hopefully this is the proper way to post about this.

There seems to be some game-breaking problems with the Quest Machine Demo.

-First one I found was with the Pirate that asks you to 1. Break open barrels until you find a wand, 2. Use the wand to transform the orcs or whatever.
Problem is I broke barrels and had already collected the wand in my inventory before speaking to her. However the game does not recognize this, resulting in being permanently stuck at the step "Find Wand" with no way to progress. I can use the wand to transform the orcs like the quest asks but it never recognizes this because it's still stuck on "find the wand" step.

Surely there must be some kind of option in this Quest Machine asset to have it check the players inventory for the item first? Or at least a variable?

-The second problem is very similar and is with the farmer. If you harvest some carrots and then speak to him, he assigns you the quest of harvesting 3 carrots. But after this he doesn't recognize that you already have 10 harvested carrots sitting in your inventory.

-Lastly was with the pirate again. Because I broke all the barrels and boxes while exploring before talking to her, when she asked me to find 3 coins (which are found in barrels and boxes) it was impossible to complete the quest -I had just collected them all before speaking to her...

So... yeah. I actually bought this asset just an hour ago for the black friday deal before trying the demo out, teensy bit nervous after seeing this, because I was planning on implementing several 'fetch quests' for items in my game -but there seems to be a game-breaking issue if the player finds the item before actually recieving the quest...
Last edited by Gemini on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Re: Game-breaking problems with the Quest Machine Demo

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for buying Quest Machine!

Those issues are just due to the simplistic design of the quests and demo, not an integral problem with Quest Machine itself. For simplicity, it uses messages instead of actually checking the player's inventory. I thought that extra code to check the inventory might be overwhelming/extraneous for new users. However, now that you bring it up, I'll add it in the next release.

In practice, you'd want to check the current count in the player's inventory just like you said, which depends on how you're managing inventory. Quest Machine has integrations with Inventory Pro, Inventory Engine, and the inventory systems in assets such as ORK Framework and Opsive's character controllers. It also has a starter template script you can use to create a quest condition that checks your own inventory code. If you have any questions about setting that up, just let me know.
Gemini

Re: Game-breaking problems with the Quest Machine Demo

Post by Gemini »

That's really great to hear, I figured that was the case but I thought I'd point it out in case others were experiencing that in the demo and were being put off of the asset because of it.

I definitely understand not wanting to overwhelm newcomers with advanced usages of your system, though in my own experience, whenever I'm considering shelling out money for something I look to the demos to show me all the cool things it can do -It's the tutorials that you may want to go slow with so as to not overwhelm the watchers. Though again that's just my opinion as an average newbie haha

It's also very handy you mentioned those inventory systems, as I was at that point looking around for one and ended up considering those. Ended up going with Ork while it was still on sale actually, because I'm deathly allergic to coding :P

Seems I'll have lots of documentation to study up on now, so cheers!
Oh, and thank you for your quick response! I hope your assets did well during the sale.
Tony Li

Re: Game-breaking problems with the Quest Machine Demo (solved)

Post by Tony Li »

Good choice! ORK and Quest Machine make a great combo. If any questions come up about the integration, just let me know.

And excellent point about the demo. I'll make sure to handle those issues in the next release.