Settings always revert on on play

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
fornit

Settings always revert on on play

Post by fornit »

Hi,

I just started using Dialogue System and went through the quick start tutorial. I basically set up the the exact same thing, just instead of triggering the conversation on game start i went with a 2d player with proxymity selector and an npc with a box collider 2d trigger. It all works fine, however when I use the wizard to set the camera settings to wait for subtitles, the setting always reverts back to the original camera setting as soon as I hit play. Any idea what is causing this?
Because I am at a bit of a loss. It doesn't make any sense at all :?

BTW: I stumbled upon the 2d collider trigger by accident. I was already setting up a playmaker fsm to emulate that behavior because the character controller didn't seem to work in 2d and also didn't allow for an additional 2d box collider (for actual colliding) to be present. Is the 2d box trigger supposed to be working and if so, why isn't it in the wizard as an alternative option?
Tony Li

Re: Settings always revert on on play

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for using the Dialogue System!

I'll look into this and post back here later today. I'm out of the office right now, but off the top of my head I wonder if Unity is reverting the Dialogue Manager back to its original prefab state. As a test, if you select the Dialogue Manager GameObject in your scene and select GameObject > Break Prefab Instance, then set the camera settings with the wizard, do the settings stay intact?

The player controller included in the Dialogue System's Examples folder is just an example script designed to drive the 3D example scenes. As long as your character has a 2D collider and the trigger also has a 2D trigger, the trigger components (such as Dialogue System Trigger) will work with them. As with any Unity collisions, your Physics collision matrix needs to allow collisions on the layers. You can pare down collisions further by setting the Dialogue System Trigger's Condition to only fire for specific tags (e.g., "Player"), specific GameObjects, etc.
fornit

Post by fornit »

Yeah it was the prefab connection. Thanks for the quick reply! :)

The filtering by layer and tag is very useful, thanks. Is this relevant for onUse triggered conversations (performance maybe)? Or just for when I want to use conversations that trigger without pressing a use key? (NPC starts a conversation on proximity, barks, PC talks to himself after a certain event etc.)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Tag and GameObject filtering is less useful for OnUse. The other Condition filters are useful for everything, though. For example, you could add two Conversation Triggers and set the Conditions so that only one fires based on the current state of a quest or the current value of a Lua variable.