Updating Quest Tracker with Adventure Creator

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
PeterParked

Updating Quest Tracker with Adventure Creator

Post by PeterParked »

I'm using Dialogue System for Unity 1.5.5 and Adventure Creator 1.47b, and I'm following the excellent Quests video tutorial you made.

I'm creating a quest somewhat similar in concept to the "Thin the Ranks" quest, but I'm using an Adventure Creator action list.

Accordingly, I've created a variable (originally in Articy:Draft, so thanks for that converter)

I've created a quest entry, as you describe in the tutorial video:

Then I'm using the "Third Party / Dialogue System Lua" to decrement that variable with a basic Variable["variable"] = Variable["variable"] - 1 statement

I've confirmed with the Lua Console that the variable is in fact decrementing via the action list, so the Lua is working, but the quest tracker display is not showing that change.

Besides selecting the "Update Quest Tracker" tickbox, what else should I be doing to make sure my tracker HUD displays the updated variable?
Last edited by PeterParked on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Li

Re: Updating Quest Tracker with Adventure Creator

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

There's an updated Adventure Creator Support package on the Dialogue System Extras page. If you import it, it should fix the issue you described. The Dialogue System now allows quest trackers to be children of the Dialogue Manager, whereas previously they had to be on the Dialogue Manager GameObject itself. The Adventure Creator Support package needed to be updated accordingly.
PeterParked

Re: Updating Quest Tracker with Adventure Creator [Solved]

Post by PeterParked »

Thanks, it's all working together now! I appreciate the help.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

My pleasure!
PeterParked

Post by PeterParked »

Hi, Tony - thanks for the new release! I'm now using the new Dialogue Manager version 1.5.6, but where Quest Tracker was working for me yesterday, post-update it's not displaying my variable correctly.

This quest entry, [lua(Variable["Quests.CinderellaBall_Items_Remaining"])] items remaining,

was successfully interpreted yesterday as "5 items remaining" in quest tracker,

but after I installed the update package, it doesn't seem to be parsing, and is displaying as [lua(Variable["Quests.CinderellaBall_Items_Remaining"])] items remaining

I've also tried (Variable["Quests.CinderellaBall_Items_Remaining"]), but no dice.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Sorry, that's a bug! I'll post a fix by tomorrow. It's a quick fix.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about the bug. If you import this package, it will properly handle markups tags such as [lua(...)] in quest entry text:

UnityUIQuestTracker_2015-10-11.unitypackage
PeterParked

Post by PeterParked »

Thank you, sir - everything's working great now.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Great! When you get a chance, I recommend downloading version 1.5.6.1. It includes some additional fine-tuning to the Unity UI stuff, in particular to the typewriter effect and to animation on subtitle panels.