Coding characters entering and leaving conversations

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Coding characters entering and leaving conversations

Post by Tony Li »

This is good feedback. Thank you. I already put the info above in the upcoming version's documentation. I'll clarify more about the nodes.
AoF

Post by AoF »

Tony Li wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 pm This is good feedback. Thank you. I already put the info above in the upcoming version's documentation. I'll clarify more about the nodes.
Thank you! And just to clarify, I was only using nodes as an example. I'd like to know information like this on all the sections, not just the node one.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you hit another section that's unclear or lacks the details you need, let me know. As the developer, it's sometimes hard for me to know whether I'm providing too much or too little information. I've been trying to keep the documentation concise. Version 1.x's documentation grew to the point where some people found it hard to find what they were looking for among all the other information.
Rallix

Post by Rallix »

I think the search bar itself might be a bit of an obstacle when you want to find something in the documentation, even if you know exactly what you're looking for.

For example, let's say I'm looking for the articy:draft reference page.
Search for "articy"

Most of the search results are from the script reference section, not the written documentation.
It also claims to show the best matches first, but the first one has 2 matches:

Yet the main articy draft page, 25th in search results, has 90 matches:

The list gets noticeably longer when you search for things which are repeated often throughout the documentation and have many scripts associated with them.

I think it would probably help if the scripting reference was either on a separate tab or appeared at the end of your search results.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

This is an unfortunate side effect of combining the manual and API reference. Sometimes entering "page ..." such as "page sequence" will help. It's something I plan to work on in the future.
alfa995

Post by alfa995 »

Regarding the "too much information" concern in the manual, I think it might be useful to have extra paragraphs under some sort of show/hide "learn more" buttons or something. That way, new users can read the rough overview of the system without being overwhelmed, but others who want to learn more about the inner workings, possible use cases or general tips for each feature can get that information easily.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Excellent idea. The version 1.x documentation has a few of those (they're hyperlinks instead of a show/hide expander), but I removed them in 2.x to try to make the manual flatter and more streamlined. I think it's time to judiciously put a few back.
Rallix

Post by Rallix »

I'd support that.
When I read about a topic I'm currently working on, I love reading the "why" sections, or "tips" or "you have options 1, 2, 3".
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Cool, okay, I'll try to add more of those.