Help: how to create a very simple dialogue system

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Zaadschaap

Help: how to create a very simple dialogue system

Post by Zaadschaap »

Hi everyone,

I wonder if it's possible to create a very, very basic dialogue system. I'm fairly new to Dialogue System so I'm trying to get to grips with it a little. I tried to search the forums but I couldn't find anything on this subject yet.

So my idea is 'simple'. I just want a very basic dialogue system for my game. You know...the player meets an NPC and they have a basic conversation. You press a button and the dialogue starts. You have one dialogue box that shows the content of the conversation. Alternating between player and NPC.

The problem:
1. How to set this up? Do you need to keep to different UI conversation containers for Player and NPC separate?
2. How do I get rid of the response menu? The conversations in my game have no multiple branches, just old-skool linear. But I can't seem to find a way to shut this respons thing off. I just want to cycle through each step of the conversation by pressing a button.

I hope somebody can help me with this. That would be really great. I totally understand I'm a noob wit this, so most likely I overlooked something in the manual or the settings. :?

Thanks!
Andreas
Tony Li

Re: Help: how to create a very simple dialogue system

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

These 2 tutorials will be very helpful:
Briefly:
  • Add the Dialogue Manager prefab to your scene. (It's in Plugins / Pixel Crushers / Dialogue System / Prefabs.)
  • Tick Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line.
  • Set the Continue Button dropdown to Always.
  • UNtick Input Settings > Always Force Response Menu.
  • Assign a dialogue database.
  • Write a conversation in the dialogue database.
  • Add your player and NPC to the scene. How the player 'meets' the NPC is up to you. For example, your player could use a movement script to move around the scene. The Interaction tutorial describes a way that the player can interact with the NPC to start a conversation (i.e., use a Selector or Proximity Selector component).
  • Add a Dialogue System Trigger to the NPC. Select Add Action > Start Conversation, select your conversation, and assign the player to Conversant Actor. If you want to test out the conversation as soon as the scene starts (e.g., if you' haven't set up the Proximity Selector yet), temporarily change the Dialogue System Trigger to OnStart. Remember to set it back to OnUse once you've set up a Proximity Selector.
Once you've confirmed that this is working, you can customize the dialogue UI or assign a different prefab if there's one that looks closer to what you want. If you want the player to use the same subtitle panel (dialogue box) as the NPC, add a Dialogue Actor component to the player, and change the Subtitle Panel Number dropdown to Panel 0.
Zaadschaap

Post by Zaadschaap »

Hi Tony,

first, thank you for the quick reply! I think I might have overlooked the tutorials, there is just so much info about the dialogue system ;)

I forgot to mention I use Playmaker in my game, but the basics on what you outline is probably the same (I followed the tutorial on Playmaker interaction).

So I put all the settings in you mentioned, but now the Player dialogue doesn't show up strangely enough. I'll go and check the video tutorials you recommended.

Thanks again!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Make sure you've ticked the Dialogue Manager's Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line checkbox.
Zaadschaap

Post by Zaadschaap »

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to say "THANK YOU!". The whole setup is now exactly how I wanted it. Setting the subtitle panel number to 0 works like a charm. :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! :-)