[HOWTO] How To: Fix Selector and Proximity Selector Issues

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

[HOWTO] How To: Fix Selector and Proximity Selector Issues

Post by Tony Li »

The Selector and ProximitySelector components are optional helpers that you can choose to use in your Dialogue System projects. They provide an interaction system that sends "OnUse" events to Usable GameObjects. If your Selector or ProximitySelector isn't working, check the following:

Selector
  • GameObject with Usable component and Dialogue System Trigger has a collider that's enabled.
  • GameObject is on a layer included in the Selector's Layer Mask.
  • Set Selector's Max Selection Distance is far enough for a raycast from the camera to reach it.
  • Run Raycasts is set to In 2D or 3D depending on whether you're using 2D or 3D colliders..
  • A transparent UI element isn't blocking collider.
  • 2D Only: Camera is set to Orthographic.
  • 2D Only: Scripting define symbol USE_PHYSICS2D is set.
  • In 3D, you can tick Debug to see a visualization of the raycast in the Scene view.
Proximity Selector
  • GameObject with Usable component and Dialogue System Trigger has a collider that's enabled.
  • GameObjects may need rigidbodies.
  • The collider on the Proximity Selector GameObject or the Usable GameObject is a trigger. (Is Trigger is ticked.)
  • The GameObjects' layers are configured in the project setting's physics collision matrix to register collisions.
  • In other words, regular Unity trigger collisions must be set up properly.
  • 2D Only: Camera is set to Orthographic.
  • 2D Only: Scripting define symbol USE_PHYSICS2D is set.
ChrisU

Re: [HOWTO] How To: Fix Selector and Proximity Selector Issues

Post by ChrisU »

Hello - I am pleased to find this topic posted today, as I am having issues that need clarification.

First of all, I am very impressed with this asset, thank you for your hard work.

My problems are as follows:

1) My proximity selector works as desired, but it shows two different selector UI, one for proximity and one for mouse hover. I want the selector to be purely based on proximity. (See attached screenshot)

2) I cannot for the life of me determine how to customize the look of the UI...

Please advise.
selector screenshot.jpg
selector screenshot.jpg (332.27 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
ChrisU wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:49 pm1) My proximity selector works as desired, but it shows two different selector UI, one for proximity and one for mouse hover. I want the selector to be purely based on proximity.
Does your scene also have a Selector component whose Select At dropdown is set to Mouse Position? If so, remove the Selector component.
ChrisU wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:49 pm2) I cannot for the life of me determine how to customize the look of the UI...
Customize the prefab "Basic Standard UI Selector Elements". Explanation:

I'm assuming the GameObject with your Proximity Selector also has a Selector UI Standard UI Elements component. This tells the Proximity Selector to use whatever Standard UI Selector Elements GameObject is in the scene.

The default Dialogue Manager prefab has an Instantiate Prefabs component. This component instantiates the Basic Standard UI Selector Elements prefab. I recommend these steps:
  • Duplicate the prefab.
  • Assign the duplicate to the Instantiate Prefabs component.
  • Customize the duplicate's appearance.
p.s. - Is that a slug on a flying saucer???
Stem

Post by Stem »

EDIT FIXED; It was a simple matter of tagging the camera to "MainCamera"

Thanks again!

Hi Tony,

I have been following the quick start guide and I have the editor working in a project as it does in the tutorial.

I'm now trying to get it working inside an existing project. I followed the same setup a few times but I'm still unable to get the selector working.
I followed the troubleshooting steps listed above but that doesn't seem to be the issue either. There are no other UI elements in this scene and nothing appears to be blocking the cursor either.

Scratching my head as I have no clue what may be affecting it. I've played around with the select distance setting. the cube has a collider. Everything appears to be set correctly. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Stem

Post by Stem »

I'm assuming the GameObject with your Proximity Selector also has a Selector UI Standard UI Elements component. This tells the Proximity Selector to use whatever Standard UI Selector Elements GameObject is in the scene.

The default Dialogue Manager prefab has an Instantiate Prefabs component. This component instantiates the Basic Standard UI Selector Elements prefab. I recommend these steps:
  • Duplicate the prefab.
  • Assign the duplicate to the Instantiate Prefabs component.
  • Customize the duplicate's appearance.
Hey I followed these steps but upon replacing the prefabs component and pressing play the UI text is broken and only appears as a tiny box in the top left. I also get this error message.

Thanks!
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (76.54 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Make sure you've assigned your selector UI prefab to the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Instantiate Prefabs component > Prefabs list, not to the Dialogue System Controller component's Display Settings > Dialogue UI field.
Stem

Post by Stem »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I found the list and I have now replaced the prefab with the duplicate prefab. However I don't seem to be able to change the appearance for the dialogue UI. Apologies if I'm missing something.

I wanted to know how to change the appearance of these elements. The color, the text box art itself, etc. In the inspector I can change the color of the selector text. but that's about all.
Attachments
d.png
d.png (316.01 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Edit the dialogue UI that's assigned to the Dialogue Manager's Display Settings > Dialogue UI field. Please see this video tutorial:

Dialogue UI Tutorial Part 1