Self-Loathing and other Reacting to Self

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Love/Hate.
Tony Li

Re: Self-Loathing and other Reacting to Self

Post by Tony Li »

The concept of the importance of the law when things are happening to oneself can still be represented by the current model. If a character has +100 affinity to himself, everything that happens to himself has the utmost importance. He might have +80 affinity to his friends, and +20 affinity to his community in general, which would scale the importance.

For your other excellent points, two approaches come to mind:

1. An optional set of "towards self" deed overrides for each character. So if the "Whip" deed normally has a negative impact (i.e., when seeing other whipped), a masochist could have a "towards self" override with a positive impact. The nice thing about this approach is that it's very clear. The bad thing is that you have to define overrides for every case that you want to handle.

2. Alternatively, you could specify generic scaling values for "towards self" deeds. For example, if a deed has a high "Cruelty" personality trait, it could scale the impact by -1, flipping it from negative to positive. This approach isn't quite as transparent for each deed, but it handles the concept in a generic manner so you don't have to handle each deed specially.
Nosteme

Post by Nosteme »

So wait, in that case, is Affinity representing a good/bad thing, or an important/insignificant thing? Or is that Impact? And I agree, from what you said, it seems like the current model can represent that already.

Great ideas! I think the first option is more what I personally would be looking for in my own use. The way I'd expect it to function is that if it isn't set, the NPC will react to things happening to them the same as if they witnessed it happening to someone else.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Impact represents importance. So a slapping someone might have -5 impact, but stabbing someone with an ice pick would have, say, -50 impact.

Affinity is used to determine how the impact affects judgment of a deed.
  • If a good guy sees his party member stab another party member (with, say +80 affinity), it's judged as a very bad deed.
  • If the good guy sees his party member stab the evil boss monster (-80 affinity), it's judged as a very good deed.
  • If the good guy sees his party member stab a lowly pest monster (-20 affinity), it's judged as a somewhat good deed.
I'll go ahead and add optional deed overrides to the next version. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Nosteme

Post by Nosteme »

Out of curiosity (and not to rush you, but) when do you think the next version might be out?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'm aiming for the end of the month (i.e., early next week).
Nosteme

Post by Nosteme »

Cool, thanks! And no rush, just curious :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Just FYI - I'll be releasing this self-reaction feature as a patch next week, not as a full version release. Black Horizon Studios just let me know they're incorporating some changes I requested in their Emerald AI product to support Love/Hate integration. So the full release will come shortly after the next version of Emerald AI, so it can also include Emerald AI integration.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Love/Hate 1.8.4 Beta 1 is on the Love/Hate Customer Download Page.

Beta 1 includes a new component, Deed Evaluation Overrides, that you can add to a Faction Member to tell it to evaluate deeds done to specific factions differently.

The full 1.8.4 release should also include support for Emerald AI.
Nosteme

Post by Nosteme »

Excellent. Thank you!