Articity Draft converter Multilanguage

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
zpr

Articity Draft converter Multilanguage

Post by zpr »

Hello,
How do I convert a multilanguage Arcticy Draft XML ?

In the current articy XML there are <localizedString> tags.

I've tried to edit and create extras <localizedString> like this:
<LocalizedString Lang="en">Nevermind. Goodbye.</LocalizedString>
<LocalizedString Lang="pt">Esquece. Adeus.</LocalizedString>
<LocalizedString Lang="en">Nevermind</LocalizedString>
<LocalizedString Lang="pt">Esquece</LocalizedString>

Use the converter in Unity and got the following:

Some fields are empty, Am I missing something or doing something wrong ? Thank you. I've tried to look in the documentation but didn't find any help regarding Articy Draft Localization
Tony Li

Re: Articity Draft converter Multilanguage

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

articy:draft's XML format is very particular. Editing the XML file directly is highly prone to errors. Instead, I recommend setting up language localization within articy:draft itself. This way when you export the XML file all of the localized strings will be in the correct format to be imported into Unity.

A recent update to the Dialogue System added the ability to convert articy:draft XML at runtime. I'll double-check that it didn't cause any issues with localization conversion and post back here later today.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

There may be an issue with articy:draft localization. (Refer to your Nevigo forum thread.)

In addition, the change in the Dialogue System to support runtime imports of articy:draft did introduce a bug regarding Dialogue Text. It's fixed in a patch available on the customer download site. If you don't have access yet and would like to download the patch, please PM me your Unity Asset Store invoice number. With the patch, the <LocalizedString> lines you added to your XML file should work correctly.
zpr

Post by zpr »

Hey Tony, thank you for responding in both threads. As for now I don't need the patch but next week I will need the latest Dialogue System version. If the patch doesn't come to the asset store I will PM you eventually. Thank you.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Sounds good. Hopefully Nevigo will also respond with more info or a timeline on localization. If not, I'll start to look into another way to do localization in articy.
irve

Post by irve »

Digging up an old source with a new link since I went investigating localization options again.

Their own method entails excel tables (and I also suspect that working in parallel with both writing and translating is "fun" as hell): http://www.nevigo.com/articy-importer/u ... zation.htm
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

That link is for Nevigo's new Unity plugin for articy 3. Briefly, when you export your project to the Unity plugin format, you can choose to create an Excel file, too. You can copy this Excel file for each language and enter your translations into them. (It's a shame Nevigo didn't implement localization natively into the articy editor. Their data structure and XML export format both support it.) When you import into Unity using Nevigo's plugin, it also reads these Excel files.

The Dialogue System doesn't use Nevigo's Unity plugin (at least not yet). However, in the next release, the Dialogue System articy importer will have options to read these Excel files as well as VoiceOverFiles generated by Nevigo's new VoiceOver plugin.